Tuesday, June 18, 2013

... Art Gallery Exploration #1...

For this project I needed to go to an art gallery and answer three questions about some pieces of art work I observed. I want to the Albright Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY, one I am very familiar with. I have been there many times, some of the times on school field trips and others for personal entertainment. I am in love with this art gallery. First you are greeted by fashionable receptionist that welcomes you with open arms, and then you are freed to explore the gallery starting in any which way you want. I observed all of the paintings and sculptures on the first floor than made my way to the second floor for more wonders.

 The first question I was asked to answer was: Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? For this question I walked around the first floor, observing every painting and sculpture, then making a second round and finally choosing two artworks that I thought best answered this question. The first artwork was a painting by Clyfford Still called, Gift of the Artist, oil on canvas, produced in 1946, and is shown here:

I chose this as the first painting that really made an impression on me because as I stared into the deep, rich yellow and an overwhelming sense of calmness came over me. I had just taken a math exam right before I came to the gallery, so I was a little stressed out. The different shades of yellow and the small pop of blue at the bottom makes me feel a warm and comforted. I felt happy and relieved when I saw this picture the first time and was pleasantly happy laying my eyes on it the second time around.

The second painting that made an impression on me was a painting by Gustave Courbet called, La Source de la Loue, oil on canvas, produced in 1864, and is shown here:


I was compelled to investigate this painting because after feeling so uplifted from the last painting I needed something to bring me back to finding out the mystery of art. The last painting was a simple color that was bright and cheery; however this painting shows the mouth of a cave that is dark and mysterious. As I ponder the meaning behind this picture, I begin to think about the meaning behind my thought about this and the last picture. How can I go from feeling calm, and splendid, to wondering what horrors lay at the end of that watery cave? This is what impressed me the most about this painting. Not only did it open my mind to what is in the cave, I was asking myself, what is at the end of my cave? Of my mind? I love pictures that make you think. 

The next question I was asked to answer was: Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? Being a longtime patron of this art gallery I already knew which artworks I had deep connections with. The most influential and important art piece that I adore was not there. It was heartbreaking. I searched and searched, but I could not find it. Maybe someday I will have time to talk about it, but for now I will stay on topic. The first painting I felt a strong connection with was painted by Giacomo Bella called, Dinamismodium un Cane al Guinzaglio (Dynamisiom of a Dog on a Leash), oil on canvas, produced in 1912, and is shown here:


As I gazed into this picture I remembered a simpler time, the 8th grade, when I was in studio art with one of my very best friend named David. I cherish this man. He has been one of my best friends from grade 4 until now, and I love him very much. I made such a connection with this painting because I have seen it many times within my life. The first time I have ever seen this was when David recreated it in studio art class. David was the smartest man alive at this point and told me everything he possibly could about this piece of art. This painting captures something very hard when it comes to painting, and that is motion. David was excited to recreate this painting and I was able to share in this excitement. I believe this is why I love this painting so much.

The second piece of artwork that I was able to make a connection with was produced by Roy Lichtenstein called, Explosion from Portfolio 9, linthograph, produced in 1967, and is shown here:



 As mentioned earlier in this blog Roy Lichtenstein and his art pieces have influenced me much of my life. One summer I printed as many Lichtenstein paintings as my printer could, cut them out, and made a mural of pop art on one of my bedroom walls. I love the way he takes everyday objects and put them into a comic environment, using colored dots to fill in the color, and using word bubbles to narrate the image. For this question I could have picked any of the paintings that were being shown in the POP Art display on the second floor, but this print caught my eye because of something I learned in this class. While studying this print I was 47/100 penciled in at the bottom left corner. Before this class I would have disregarded this, however now I am able to say with confidence that that was the 47th print out of an edition of 100. I like how this print was able to connect with my extreme life a funky images and the knowledge I am obtaining through my education.

The last question I was asked to answer was: Which artworks would I like to know more about? This was an easy question to answer because I stumbled upon two pieces of artwork that I found completely confusing. The first piece of artwork was painted by Tauba Auerbach, this piece was untitled, acrylic on canvas, and produced in 2012, and is shown here:



Now let me rephrase the medium in which this PAINTING is made out of: Acrylic on canvas. How the heck did this man create a painting that looks like a very beautiful crumpled piece of green paper? The texture Auerbach was able to create with acrylic paint is remarkable. I found myself one foot away trying to examine how through color and shades this effect of wrinkles could be produced by paint. I would love to see more paintings by Auerbach, and learned how he is able to produce such textured paintings.

The second piece of artwork that I would love to know more about would be the sculpture by Marcel Duchamp called, Why not Sneeze Rose Selavy?, made out of marble cubes, thermometer, metal cage, perches, and cuttlebones, produced in 1964, and shown here:




The reason why I chose this sculpture that I wanted to know more about is because I have no clue what this sculpture is or its meaning. I literally have no perceived message from looking at this. I like this sculpture a lot, but I am not able to produce an opinion on what meaning this could have or why it was made. I believe if I were to research the history of  Duchamp and get some background information I would be able to form a better opinion on this piece than I am able to do now. Yet again, I love pieces of art that make you think…

5 comments:

  1. I also have spent many hours inside the Albright Knox Art gallery and I am somewhat familiar with the pieces you have identified here. I need to totally agree with you with the untitled piece by Tauba Auerbach. The way texture is used amazes me. Recently I have attempted what I call my texture paintings. It is a fun skill that I hope to master. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely missed the Tauba Aerbach piece, I will have to go back soon to see this in person. The canvas isnt crumpled? That is amazing, to be able to create that with paint. I had the same reaction to the Marcel Duchamp sculpture, what does this even mean anyway?? Are the cubes supposed to replicate sugar cubes and their delicate nature but what does "Why not Sneeze Rose Sealavy?" mean?? I truly dont understand that piece but like you would like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both used Gustave Courbet's La source de la Loue as a work of art. This piece also interested me, like you I wondered where the cave led to. I picked it because there was a sense of mystery yet amazing beauty within it.

    I also took notice of Giacomo Bella's Dinamismadium un Cane al Guinzaglio. Every time I go to the Albright Knox gallery this painting grabs my attention. I love the sense of motion that it portrays.
    I found your selection of works to be good and interesting as well as the reasoning you gave for each piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like most of us here have also been to Albright Knox before. Unfortunately I'm not in Buffalo, so I don't privilege of being able to see what everyone else sees. However I believe that is what these blogs are for, so I can get a sense of what it is actually like.

    I feel like I connected more with your second piece than I did the first. For one thing I work at a cave, so of course me and anything cave just click, and also I just didn't really see any activity coming from the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think that the painting Gift of the Artist evokes pleasant emotions. The bright yellow reminds me of the sun and a pleasant, sunny day. The painting La Source de la Loue also leaves me with the thought that although art can be used to realistically represent a scene, it is limited in the sense that only some part of a scene can be represented or sometimes even be seen by the artist. There is so much more to the scene that is hidden either from the artist, the viewer of the artwork, or both.

    ReplyDelete