Sunday, June 9, 2013

... The Elements and Principles of Art and Design, by Grace...

Exploring the world through the elements and principles of the art and design by photography opened my eyes to everyday works of art. I was able to take all of my pictures this beautiful Sunday morning, through afternoon with my mother in Lewiston. We participated in the Lewiston Tour of Kitchens, which featured homes that were open for viewing paired with local restaurants that supplied samples of delicious cuisines. Before leaving the house I made a list of the elements and principles of art and I was able to steal my sister’s camera for the day. We were able to capture pictures on the way there and at every stop on the kitchen trail. Surviving many dropped samples and creatively set tablescapes, we were able to capture simple every day pictures that explored one of the elements or principles of art and design. I have to thank my mother for many of the pictures. She is a creative, wonderful woman who inspires more than just beautiful pictures!
I captured all of the pictures on a Canon Power Shot camera. This camera was very easy to use and it took great pictures. I was able to get very clear close ups and distant action pictures with ease and accuracy. My mother and I searched for anything that represented an element or a principle of art and took pictures of it in different angles and distances. Then I was able to upload and sort the pictures that I thought best represented an element or principle. I found it was easy to express these traits of design through simple, everyday life. My favorite picture is Space. This picture shows two barn swallows sitting on the power lines with the Niagara River flowing through the background. The open space makes the viewer immediately focus on the two birds, and the distance between the two birds allows the viewer to examine each on closely.
Here here my album.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/plattgm01/slideshow/Elements%20and%20Principles

I was unfortunalty not able to embed my slide show within this blog. I tried all the directions given and even looked for outside help and I was not able to find a solution.

6 comments:

  1. Your pictures clearly showed the elements and principles that they were intended. It was easy for me to see what your ideas were. I agree with the picture for space. Very nice. Your pictures will simple, beautiful, and easily identifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really impressed with your pictures taken for this project! The elements and designs were clearly labeled but the pictures spoke for those labels perfectly. I think my favorites were your pictures for space and movement. The birds sitting on the wire on opposite ends was a really cool picture and I never would have thought of that for space. The boat in action on the water was perfect for movement. I had a hard time coming up with what to photograph for movement and my picture was of falling leaves. I though the boat speeding across the water was a great example because of how you could see the water flying through the air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made great use of the elements in all of your pictures. I think my favorite shot was the picture representing form, the picture is very well done and showcases form so well. I love taking pictures of old homes and buildings. Your shape picture I felt also showed off texture.

    I too had trouble embedding the slideshow directly into my blog. It was very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a photographer myself, I always like to see how people are able to take their photos. Not surprisingly your photo for space is what seemed to stand out at me. I also enjoyed your photo of shapes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photographs displayed the elements and principles. I love the story of the day these were taken. Having fun with photography and playing with angles and different functions on my camera that I never had before made the project even more fun for me. My favorite photographs and reasons are:

    Texture- This photograph portrayed texture very well. It made me want to reach out and feel the dogs fur.

    Proportion- I loved this photograph. You had a good eye to catch this photograph. The spider sitting on the petal of the flower was a great use of proportion.

    Shapes- I like the use of natural organic stone elements that were used to make shape.

    Value- The natural beauty of the sky shows the different color values from blues, grays, white, and black. The darkness and shadows of the tops of the trees made the photograph even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is interesting that the wavy lines on the drain cover make it look more stylized, yet they were probably put there for a practical purpose (maybe to channel water). I like how in your photo representing color the yellow lights and bottles create a line of sight that draws the eye along the picture. I also like how the red color of the wagon wheel in your photo for emphasis really does grab the viewer's attention right away.

    ReplyDelete